settlement.arc.nasa.gov : NASA Space Settlement Contest 2015 Application process.
NASA Space Settlement Contest 2015 has been announced by NASA Ames in association with National Space Society and they are looking to provide a bright opportunity for all talented students to design practical and applicable orbital space settlement model and related things to it.
NASA Space Settlement contest is came into existence in year 1994 and all those school students of class 12 are eligible to participate in this contest individually or they can make a team which will be accompanied by the respective teacher.
All the eligible and talented participants are required to develop their space settlement models & related materials and these designs will be sent to NASA Ames in future for the selection process.
This contest consists the various categories, and the entries will be placed into the specific categories, which will be all depends on the eligibility criteria.
The students are informed that their prepared models should be presented intellectually independent and permanent.
Eligibility Criteria :
All those students who are up to class 12th are able to apply as an individuals or a team accompanied and guided by the respective teacher or the member of the school.
NASA Space Settlement Contest comprises 6 categories which are furnished below:
- 7th grade and under: individual, small group, large group,
- 8th grade: individual, small group, large group,
- 9th grade: individual, small group, large group,
- 10th grade: individual, small group, large group,
- 11th grade: individual, small group, large group,
- 12th grade: individual, small group, large group.
Other categories will be based on artistic and literary merit which are also included in the contest.
- The applicants are suggested that their best entry will receive the grand prize regardless of category, consisting of the space colony submission being placed on the NASA Ames World Wide Website.
- All those eligible candidates who are participating in this contest 2015 will get an invitation from The National Space Society (NSS) 2015 to attend the 34th NSS annual International Space Development Conference (ISDC) in Toronto, Canada (from May 20-24), 2015. The costs for this conference will be borne from the students.
- In the past time the ISDC was organized in the United States, but this is for the first time that this conference is being organized outside US i.e. in Toronto, Canada.
- Every year there are number of contestants attend the conference along with their parents, teachers, siblings and friends. And hence the special activities for contestants are planned, including:
- The highest scoring individual or a team attending will get the NSS Bruce M. Clark, Jr. Memorial Space Settlement Award for $5,000. If there is a chance or any team wins, then the sum will be equally divided among the team members.
- The highest ranking winners attending will be invited to give their oral presentation as time is available.
- All the participants who attend the same will be invited to display their poster of work.
- There will be a separate reception for all the contestants, teachers, parents, etc.
- All the participants will get a certificate.
- The students cannot submit their project online or through e-mail, only hard copy submission is allowed.
- There will be no registration is required and there will be no fees amount will be charged, only students have to send the 2 filled up entry forms in hard copies along with the 1 hard copy of the entry that they have prepared on the relevant topic to the following address:
NASA Ames Research Center Al Globus/Mail Stop 262-4 Bldg. 262, Rm. 277 P.O. Box 1 Moffett Field, CA 94035-0001
To Settlement Contest 2015 Click here: http://settlement.arc.
Submission process for NASA Space Settlement Contest 2015
- To receive entries on time, NASA Ames recommends either the U.S Portal Service or a commercial service such as Fed EX, UPS or DHL to the applicants.
- Submissions won’t be returned. Students should keep a copy for themselves.1
Important points for the NASA Space Settlement Contest 2015
- Students are informed that all the designs,projects,plans and original research like essays, stories, models, artwork or any other space related materials will be submitted for participation purpose.
- The students are suggested that the designed models should be based on Orbital Settlements. And these settlements should not be on a Planet or a Moon. It should be permanent and related to self-sufficient homes.
- The candidates are not required to submit any Electronic things such as Power Point presentations, discs, CD’s, DVD, videos or website.
- The project will be made on paper, student can create their electronic projects and send it to the NASA Ames.It’ll not be used for judging but NASA at its discretion can link to it further from the contest results page.
- The presentation prepared by the student must be very clear and specific so that it will be easy to understand.
- Assistance from student’s parents,mentors or Instructors will be granted but the entire work must be presented by the student itself.
- The student can take ideas from other people but it should be written in their own words.
- The work submitted by the student must be presented in original work. The copy work would be ignored in case of short passages but that must be quoted within the columns (“ ’’) with the relevant source mentioned. Long passages containing plagiarism would be disqualified.
- The image credit should be mentioned for the images used in the entry.
- A bibliography must be indulged in the given project or theme.
- All the individuals, small teams of 2 to 5 and large teams of 6 or more are judged separately. Entries are also grouped by age/grade of the oldest contestant for judging.
- All the students are require to develop their space settlement designs and related materials as they will be sent to NASA Ames for judgment.
- NASA Space Settlement Contest 2015 Result will be declared in the month of March 2015 as it will take around 2-3 weeks for the judging after the contest closes.
Al Globus/Mail Stop 262-4
Bldg. 262, Rm. 277
P.O. Box 1
Moffett Field, CA 94035-0001